Sometimes, it’s better to stay in bed

Yesterday was the 4th of July.  Day two of my 4 day weekend.  You’d think I would have felt rested and ready to party!


Seems yesterday I woke up at 6AM.  Couldn’t get back to sleep and it was an off day.  No hike since I walked on Thursday and turned in a 7.2 miler.  So I sat with a puppy.  Have I shown you a picture of my pup?  No?  Well then…let me remedy that right now.


There’s my girl!  We call her our mutant rat terrier.  She was supposed to be about 20lbs.  She’s 40lbs and about the size of a smallish pointer!

Anyway…back to yesterday.  So the day started with puppy puking.  Always nice to have that happen before the day begins and even better right before breakfast.  As the morning wore on, I had a headache and my energy levels were just “low”.  This worried me because from what I could tell there was no reason for it.

So the day goes on, and I called it the day around 5pm.  That’s right…I laid down for a nap around 5:00pm.  Around 11:00pm, the cat….wait…have I shown you a picture of my cat?  No…?  Well we know what I’m about to do now don’t we.


Here he is…all 18lbs of him.  I could barely fit him in this picture.  He’s a big boy.

Anyway….around 11PM the cat started coughing.  A lot.  Eventually, I could tell we were moving into projectile vomiting stage…so I gently tossed him off the bed and let him up chuck.  Great….start the day with the dog barfing, end the day with the cat barfing.  Nice.

So I had to wake up from my nap, take care of the cat mess and then go back to bed!  I had every intention of getting up early this morning and doing a long hike.  But alas…sleeping just felt like the right thing to do.  So, when the alarm went off at 6AM, I turned it off.

All this to say that in no way do I feel guilty about not getting up this morning and walking.  There are some days you need to listen to your body and your head and take a down day.  Currently I feel really rested.  No headache which is another plus.  So, I’ll plan on shooting tomorrow and get out there and hike.

The other frustration I have at the moment is after 4 weeks of walking, I’m not really seeing a difference.  I’ve done some research and I may need to try to shoot for walking 3 miles everyday instead of every other day.  I’ve also read that it can take up to 3 months for the body to switch over.  That’s okay…at this point, I have to remind myself that as long as I’m getting out there and putting in the miles, that’s all that counts at this stage.  It’s about building up consistency at this point, and getting through each day.

Hope all of you had a great 4th….as for me….I’m off to the pool to lounge, eat and drink, and tomorrow I’ll hike!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: